Imagination Shanghai is seeking new local talent to join our creative team for the delivery of a diverse suite of projects spanning from events to permanent installations, this also carries the possibility to support the broader offering as part of the Imagination global team. We look for a designer who is currently a Senior Designer or Art Director who can work independently and pull together a team of freelancers/suppliers as required for project flex.
You will work closely with our Associate Creative Director (ACD) a Detroit native and longtime Shanghai resident with an extensive background in user experience and interface design, developing and delivering automotive IP, Apps, Experience Centers, retail Pop-Ups, interactive installations, and has experience in traditional design and environmental graphics.
You should have the ability to tackle any design problem effectively regardless of how big or small – spanning from large event environmental wall graphics to wayfinding graphics to small printed hand-outs.
You are able to own the entire process and present the work directly to clients and assist the client team in communicating the core idea and rationale, while working closely with the production team to ensure every solution is viable and remains in scope. You should understand the process of preparing design files to be ‘print ready’ for production houses and have the ability to adjust if any issues arise.
You will also work with the digital team to assist and sometimes lead overall presentation design, take part in brainstorming sessions, and assist in mock-ups (treatments within rendered spaces) of various creative executions.
The expected outcomes as outlined below reflect our expectations of the Senior Designer or Graphic Art Director you will grow into at Imagination Shanghai. We understand that you may already have some – or even all – of the below skill sets.
To fill in any gaps, we will help you to ensure you can grow your design and business skills to the next level.
1. Gain an understanding of our clients, workflow, and process while taking control and being accountable for new and existing projects
- Work closely with the clients team and the other Head of Departments to gain an understanding of our clients and how they typically work.
- Attend client meetings when necessary and become the lead and ‘go-to’ for everything 2D design.
- Gain an understanding of our process, while being able to work autonomously – always knowing when to ask questions and escalate any issues/concerns.
2. Be involved in the entire process from kick-off to delivery.
- Attend client kick-off meetings when necessary to understand the scope and breadth of the project to be delivered.
- Ability to create briefs for other team members within the various design teams to keep the project on track for delivery.
- Work with suppliers and the production team to ensure all materials and installation of any
- environmental graphics is feasible.
- Create documentation and print-ready files to hand off to production and be available to go on-site to oversee and manage the installation of any graphics..
3. Work closely with various creative team members, no job is too big or small.
- Be willing and able to lead large-scale projects managing a team of freelance designers and internal designers dictating overall direction.
- Be willing to be the lead and sole designer that will deliver a range of design work for an event, live
- shows, or permanent installation.
- Work with the client, business, accounts, and digital team to assist in creative client facing project
- Attend internal workshops to ideate a range of solutions for a project that may involve a blend physical and digital interactivity.
- Have weekly stand-ups with the Digital Associate Creative Director to ensure forward progress is
- happening and we are aligned on all project deliveries and can identify any red-flags prior to an issue
- Be available for the other Designers and the Digital ACD to ensure the validation of the creative vision whenever needed.
4. Have an existing talent pool of freelancer, grow the network overtime, and join meet-ups with colleagues.
- The nature of graphic work which our office handles typically comes in large cycles with different levels of intensity. Due to this peak and valley flow of work it is critical to have the ability to book in and call upon local freelance talent / suppliers to assist when needed. We currently have a talent pool of freelancers / suppliers we have worked with previously, but are always looking to expand the network.
- Attention to detail
- Proactive and hard worker
- Ability to write thorough briefs and a strong ability to delegate tasks and manage a team, while being a ‘hands-on’ team member.
- Can work fast, yet accurately (accuracy over speed)
- Knows how to lead a team, communicate with other departments, is confident, and can motivate those around them
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience as a Mid-Level Designer, Senior Designer, or Art Director
- Ability to work in the following programs: Adobe Suite (primarily Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Knowledge with Google Suite is prefered, but can be trained on best practices
- Prefer a candidate with experience in Sketch-Up or any other 3D software
- Must have working English language skills
- Portfolio of previous work