Imagination Shanghai is seeking new local design talent to join our team for the delivery of a diverse suite of digital projects with the opportunity to support our broader offering as part of the Imagination global team. Ideally, we would like to start with you on a freelance basis, but we are open to discuss a full-time contract during the interview stage if we mutually feel you are a perfect fit for our team.
You will report directly to our Associate Creative Director (ACD) a Detroit native and longtime Shanghai resident with an extensive background in user experience and interface design, developing and delivering automotive IP, Apps, Experience Centers, retail Pop-Ups, and interactive installations.
You should have the ability to address different design guidelines and creative / business briefs in processing wireframes into final designs that can be handed off to development and/or content production. You have the drive to deliver multiple options on a core theme and you are able to iterate with fast turn around with time for presentations and discussions at team stand-ups.
The expected outcomes as outlined below reflect our expectations of the Digital Designer you will grow into at Imagination Shanghai. We understand that you may already have some – or even all – of the below skill sets. To fill in any gaps, we will help you to ensure you can grow your design and business skills to the next level.
1. Create the final designs based on the provided wireframes and briefs– including the possible usage of any design system or tool kit provided.
- Be able to interpret wireframes provided by the UX team and transform them into development-ready UI designs.
- Work with the various developers and producers based on the project needs and brief.
- Be proactive while working autonomously, always knowing when to ask questions and escalate any issues/concerns.
2. Work closely with the Associate Creative Director, Digital Designers, and Developers and Producers.
- Have daily or weekly stand-ups with the Associate Creative Director to ensure forward progress is happening which is aligned with the vision and best practices, but schedule review meetings if required to avoid stand-still.
- Be available for the UX Designers to ensure the validation of the creative vision and functionality intended whenever needed.
- Proactively seek out developers to validate that design files are implementation ready, be flexible and adjust if not to ease development process and to-market speed
3. Design and deliver assets including – but not limited to – interface designs, style frames for motion content, design direction, UI toolkit assets, internal and client facing documentation of the work done; depending on individual strengths, project needs, and core capabilities.
- Create UI designs based on the provided wireframes and experiential requirements defined by the UX designer and ACD.
- Create style frames and assets for video content – including but limited to photoshop mockups, composites, etc – as well as possible vector or 3D assets for animations.
- Create interactive prototypes for internal and external approval (via Sketch and InVision).
4. Design with the details front of mind, ensuring your great designs can be shared, developed, and digested at a rapid speed by other departments with minimal documentation.
- Be able to keep all design files organized in a logical manner so any hand-off is seamless and requires as little documentation as possible.
- Create dictation documentation to clearly call-out all design elements, behavior, etc when needed to communicate between various teams.
- Attention to detail
- Proactive and hard worker
- Can work fast, yet accurately (accuracy over speed)
- Can work with UX designers and supplied wireframes
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience as a Digital Designer or UI designer
- Ability to work in the following programs: Sketch, Adobe Suite (primarily Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Knowledge with InVision, LucidChart, and Zeplin is prefered, but can be trained on best practices
- Prefer a candidate with experience in After Effects, Media Encoder, Cinema 4D, and Google Suite
- Must be able to speak, read, and write Simplified Chinese
- Must have a working English language skills
- Online Portfolio of previous work (preferably, but PDF is acceptable)